Westminster Presbyterian Church
Westminster Presbyterian Church is an important institution in Downtown Minneapolis. Having built the existing church building in 1895, WPC had outgrown its home, and needed additional space to accommodate classrooms, multi-purpose spaces, offices and parking. The acquisition of the half block adjacent to the church allowed for such an expansion. 55,000 square feet of new classrooms and meeting spaces sit atop two levels of underground parking, and a sensitive renovation of the existing spaces creates a complete “campus” for the church’s complex function. The new construction is at once clearly new, and yet also intimately tied to the Romanesque existing church. WPC is many things to many people today, and the overall composition of the campus reflects both the traditional roots of the existing church, with its massive stone walls and stained glass windows, and the forward-looking expansion, open, light and airy, and filled with daylight.
Photography by Paul Crosby, Andrea Rugg, and James Dayton Design